Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyor is a part of the conveyor world and the most vital type of conveyor. It features a wide variety of functions, makes packaging and palletizing as simple as singing the ABC’s, with reducing noise associated with packaging. When it comes to packaging or moving things down the conveyor line, the Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyor allows for lightweight and fragile items to move down the conveyor line without getting broken, damaged, or stuck in the conveyor. It recognizes whether something is large and heavy, or lightweight and small; this feature is extremely vital for the safety in a factory setting as the Zero Pressure Accumulation system can stop products such as glass bottles from being smashed into pieces risking broken glass to rain down upon employees.
Traditional vs. Zero-Pressure:
Traditional Accumulation conveyors would have used a pressure roller with a mechanical link feeding information telling accumulation zones to engage or disengage. However, very light products wouldn’t depress the rollers causing the packages to break. The conveyor linkages and springs would malfunction or wear out with time. Now we have the technology to correct this using photo eyes and microcontrollers. The Zero Pressure Accumulation Conveyor uses a photo eye that uses distinct technology to determine the weight of an object thus creating a buffer in between packages keeping them safer and reducing the risk of a smashed product box. The Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyor also features the following to help aid in the packaging process.
- Semi-slug release: Releasing a small group of products in a slug to improve throughput.
- Dynamic zoning: Larger products can take up two zones that operate in harmony, where small products only take up a single zone.
- Sleep mode: to turn off the conveyor mechanically when no product is moving. It saves mechanical wear, reduces noise, and saves electrical power.
- Interaction with WCS: Also, specific conveyor zones can interact with the warehouse control system to change modes and report back how full particular conveyor lines are. It can dynamically re-assign the workflow to other areas of the system that are not as busy.
The Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyor uses a braking system that allows controlling the speed of the conveyor. This helps slow down heavier objects that might crash into each other which would risk the slowing of productivity. In the last 5 years this particular type of accumulation conveyor has grown in popularity for several reasons:
With a belted surface completely under the product, there is less a chance it will get stuck or jam the conveyor.
Cartons are less likely to rotate on a belted surface. It helps maintain a narrow side leading. Products profile down the conveyor, making fixed bar codes on the carton more readable.
Accumulation belted zones can accommodate minuscule products (less than 4” by 6”), where roller conveyors cannot.
Zero Pressure accumulation also does a better job of preventing side-by-side products within an individual accumulation zone. Side-by-side conditions typically result in a no-read situation that requires the cartons diverted to a handling station to correct the issue.
Understanding the Zones and Uses:
Zero Pressure accumulation zones are used on every point on a conveyor system from inclines, declines, and spirals to gain additional accumulation linear footage. The Zero Pressure Accumulation Conveyor is the primary tool to buffer and regulate work imbalances between upstream/downstream operations. Zero Pressure accumulation conveyor is the most widely used type of conveyor because more fragile items are being proccessed and shipped daily.
These conveyors are used to hold products when needed, accumulating in zones while products move down the line. They are so filled with benefits and uses that it is a shocking revelation to know that not all companies use the Zero Pressure accumulation.
- Energy efficient
- Conveys products with various sizes and weights
- Heavy-duty and pallet models available
- Reduced noise
- Distribution centers
- Parcel service providers
- Queue products for sorting
How to utilize the Zero- Pressure for maximum efficiency:
The zero-pressure accumulation (ZPA) conveyor in manufacturing or distribution operations assist in transporting and accumulating pallets. They systematically feed into various processes such as sorting, wrapping, palletizing, and strapping. The Zero-Pressure Accumulation Conveyor offers a safer place of productivity in a business, making the dangers of work-related injuries due to crashed cartons significantly lower.
- With zero-pressure, products rarely touch each other, providing protection that can reduce product damage and provide more precise control
- Each zone extracts power from a flat drive belt that runs the entire length of the conveyor. When a product stops, a photo-sensing eye is activated, sending a signal to the trailing zone.
- When the next load moves into a zone, the drive belt is lowered from the tread rollers, causing the product to stop until the product is released.
- When any product gets removed, all others behind this zone will move forward in the sequence.
Zero Pressure Accumulation is the safest conveyor product in a factory or palletizing type of business. Zero Pressure Accumulation turns to package into a delicate art, in which speed and direction of the conveyor product flow determine whether or not your products will risk getting damaged or jam themselves into the conveyor line system. At Russell Conveyor our Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyors feature the MDR (Motor Driven Roller) technology making our Zero Pressure Accumulation conveyors less noisy and more cost-efficient in the long run. Russell Conveyor will not sell you anything you do not need, give you hidden costs, or replace products your operation doesn’t require like most competitors. We want to build a long-lasting relationship with your operation and make your facility run smoothly and more efficiently.